Decided I needed a ute to carry stuff, rather than hooking up a trailer or trying to cram it into the back of the Land Rover 110 Defender.
So I've ended up with an Extra-Cab Ford Ranger Ute, much to everyone's surprise!
I bought a manual (6 speed) with the 3.2 litre 5 cylinder engine. 470Nm of torque is very nice!
It is a really well designed vehicle, with lots of little surprising things that I didn't expect in a car at this price point. Things that have made me smile have been:
- One touch blinkers - press once to get 3 indicator flashes
- Digital Radio (DAT)
- The windscreen wipers are delayed by a second or two when you use the squirters, so you don't wipe a dry windscreen
- Adaptive cruise control, just like an S Class Mercedes!
- Automatic headlights that go to/from high beam when another vehicle approaches
- A gear change indicator to tell you to shift up a gear for better fuel economy
- Speed limiter, so you set it to the speed limit and you won't go over it. Brilliant for our speed-trap infested roads.
There's been a lot of thought put into everything.
So far the only things that gives me the irrits is:
- the 'bonging' noise when you put the key in the ignition whilst the door is still open
- The sat-nav took us on a strange detour whilst driving down a main road, and then took us back to the same main road!